Monday, August 3, 2009

Pesto-licious

Marcia gave me some of her basil one weekend since her plants looked amazing. So, I picked my basil from our garden which isn't looking too great and made pesto! YUMMY! I eye ball a lot of these ingredients since the pesto recipe in very forgiving.
Pesto
About 4 to 6 cups basil
zest of 1/2 to 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbls olive oil
about 1/2 cup shredded Parmesian cheese
juice of 1/2 a lemon
chicken brother (I poured in the broth slowly until the pesto looked like a nice thick spread maybe 1 cup or so.)
NOTE: Traditional pesto has pine nuts and more olive oil but this recipe is a nice compromise to reduce the fat and omit the nuts for Connor.


Next I'm going to try creamy pesto with cream cheese!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Yummm!! If we lived closer, we'd totally be inviting ourselves over for some pizza! We love putting pesto on fried egg sandwiches with mozz cheese, but I don't know if I have the ambition to make my own pesto right now!

Christina said...

That looks delicious!

Sarah said...

Okay, I officially don't look at this blog often enough! This looks amazing.